Friday, September 19, 2008

FSU Essay

Question: For almost one hundred years, the Latin words, "Vires, Artes, Mores" have been the guiding philosophy behind Florida State University. Vires signifies strength of all kinds - moral, physical, and intellectual; Artes alludes to the beauty of intellectual pursuits as exemplified in skill, craft, or art; and Mores refers to character, custom, or tradition. Describe how one or more of the values embodied in these concepts are reflected in your life.

For as long as I can remember, I have attended a private Christian institution where religion was a class to be passed by knowing that “God is love.” As the years progressed, however, I came to understand that this was not the answer to passing the class, but the answer to passing life. My Christian faith provides the moral, physical and intellectual strength, or Vires, that life requires, and pushes me to help others find the same within themselves.
Moral strength allows me to differentiate between good and bad, and paired with faith, drives me to right injustices and get involved. Throughout high school, I have been a member of several mission teams. One team went to New Orleans shortly after Hurricane Katrina where we gutted houses of hurricane victims who could not afford to do it themselves. Mold, rot, and rats were a few of the things that plagued us daily on the job, but we persevered through the grit and grime, knowing that our services were indispensable to those we served. Another team I am privileged to be a member of is the “Justice League.”. Most recently, we went to Immokalee where hundreds of immigrants live, many of whom are underpaid and unjustly treated. Serving in the soup kitchen one day I realized what it meant to be a part of something greater than meeting the needs of individuals. Yes, each face and outstretched hand pulled at your heart strings, but the entire community had to be fed, and it was with this in mind that we served and loved these people.
Service enables me to not only physically help others, but to lead them mentally and spiritually as well. As a leader of several retreats, I have come to know what it means to have people look to you for guidance in all arenas of life. During the recent Lead Retreat, held annually for local seventh graders, it was interesting to watch while the attendees sought a role model for what they could be when they “grew up.” Whether it be the funny one, or the contemplative one, all eyes were on us, trying to choose their model as one might choose a bike in a store; testing them all out to see which one fit just right for the long ride. Knowing someone is always watching, I strive to be a role model in all my actions and endeavors as both a person and student. I recognize that “peer tutoring” is an extraordinary opportunity for me to encourage others academically and utilize my God given talents of knowledge and the ability to teach
It is in these seasons of service and faith that I consider my own life. I put the needs of the community before my own, knowing that my needs will be met in being a part of that community. This is the mentality and strength that I have to offer Florida State University.

Limit: 500 words

1 comment:

APLITghosts said...

nice job with the gold and red text. did you send it to them that way? love it. extra credit in! - elmeer